Monday, August 18, 2008

What is this world coming to?

Last week my youngest child came home from elementary school and told me they have a new rule.

The rule:
No running on the blacktop portion of the playground.
*Note: Basketball hoops are on both ends of the blacktop.

"Surely, you must be mistaken," I say. "I'll be sure to go ask the principal about this."

This morning, I got a moment to speak with the principal...

"I heard that there is a new rule about 'no running on the blacktop playground? Is this true?"

"Yes."

"Is this a new corporation policy?"

"No. Each school may decide on this."

"So, why the rule?"

"Someone might get hurt."

Disbelieving my ears, aghast that someone might think that children running on a playground is so dangerous that it should be prohibited, I could not help what came out of my mouth.

"That is a ridiculous rule! You might as well start wrapping the kids in bubble wrap!"

The principal gasped. Then replied, "Now, wait a minute. We have a nice grassy area for the kids to run on."

"Yes. That should be very nice for the kids that like to play soccer, but what about kids that want to play basketball? It's just ridiculous to think that will work for them."

"I'll be sure to look into or this."

*Yeah, right. I sarcastically, said in my head.*

I tell you truly, the mind boggles at the lengths that some people will go to keep people safe. Think about it. Where will it end?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People can no longer distinguish temporary pain from injuries that would result in permanent disability or disfigurement. I'm surprised you weren't taken up on the bubble wrap. I read an article about this recently, and how bad it is with the kids becoming increasingly obese and not being able to develop a sense of responsiblity for themselves, but I don't have time to look for it right now: time to go home.