Monday, August 11, 2008

Dance of Joy!!

The kids have returned to school this week. Hooray! I usually do the parental dance of joy and then take myself out to my favorite book store and coffee shop. This year, I did all that in my verdant imagination.

Meanwhile in reality, I was preoccupied with hatching a permit for some foundation repair-type construction for my 'money pit'. To pass the time waiting for the bureaucratic wheels to approve said permit, I ironed clothes and did laundry while listening to classical music on a local NPR station. I had entered the trying waiting period after giving up a $10 check with an application and nearly five hours of phone calls trying to get a verbal approval from a separate group of officials for my project.

Happily, not only did I get the permit (after giving up another more sizable check) but I saw my new construction crew begin to dig (with actual shovels) an enormous hole next to our house and then leave. It was quite enjoyable!

I actually believe that the nice Hispanic guys who did most of the digging had a good time picking on each other in Spanish (which I do not understand). I gather this partly because of the laughter that echoed in through the window, and partly from my over hearing, "I'm not the gringo." Which was promptly followed by more laughter.

No comments: