Thursday, August 7, 2008

Oh, What a Web!


In the "God is still good to me, and there is still beauty around me department"....

Yesterday morning was a treat!! I went for a walk in the morning fog. I saw lots spiderwebs covered in dew in peoples' yards, four rabbits and of all things a groundhog!

Then I got home...on my way inside, I narrowly missed running into the largest spider web in the backyard. The thing was enormous!!! It stretched at least 20 feet at its top two anchor points, and the center had a diameter of about two feet. NO kidding! I dragged my husband out to see it and he freaked out. After all, what kind of crazy spider attaches a web from the downspout to a rose of sharon shrub (althea for you garden savvy folks) twenty feet away?!

I felt compelled to take pictures of it. I got a couple really good pictures of it and several other webs that adorned many features in my garden. I must admit it was very cool to see how different they all were and the creative locations chosen by my nocturnal arachnid friends. They were beautiful to see them all covered in dew droplets, much like lights or pearls.

After I was done with my pictures, I disturbed my girls. While they grumbled, I dragged them outside in their pjs and flipflops. The magic of what they saw stopped the grumbles, and they enjoyed it too.

1 comment:

Slyde said...

that is a great story.....