Monday, July 28, 2008

Remodeling: Only 10 years in the making...no sweat!

Feel those construction vibes? I do. My house is always a source of some kind of construction activity. This week we anticipate a foundation redo to begin--one third ripped out and built new again. I'm leaving this job to a pro, whom I still expect to hear from and see before Friday. (This a job I definitely want to see over and done with swiftly--tonight would not be too soon. Anybody have a genie in a bottle?)

My job (with the help of my able-bodied mother--another toolbelt diva) is to redo a bedroom. First thing is to close up a hole in the wall from an old door that was removed, put down a new layer of subfloor, build a closet, and repair the walls. Plus, there are at least a dozen more odd jobs that I have barely thought of.

Today, we made great progress by getting about 70% of the hole in the wall complete, and began laying out the subfloor. This is no small matter since we had to carry 1/2" drywall up a flight of narrow curving stairs followed by 5 more trips carrying up the 3/8" plywood for the new floor. The final lifts were over my head, and I am happy to report my mother still has here chin intact. Are we great or what?

It seems that the whole family has jobs to do this week--even the girls. They are spending 6 hours a day at a stable, learning to ride and take care of horses. Today, both girls got to muck out stalls--no small feat on a hot steamy July day. Tomorrow, the weathermen say the heat index is going to reach 100 degrees. I think I feel sorry for my jeans wearing horse riding girls.

Best of luck to all of us being able to function with little or no soreness tomorrow!

No comments: