Sunday, December 20, 2009

I Think Way Too Much

It's like I fell off the edge of the planet with my blog, isn't it?! October 12th was the last time I blogged. I'm stunned. Okay, well maybe not really. I've been a very busy girl. All those ideas and all that energy (Many times fueled by rocket fuel. No! Wait that was coffee.) and the driving schedule kept me going.

I finished the girls room to an acceptable stage so that they were able to have their first major slumber party on Halloween night. Everyone seems to have had a fine time trick or treating and I, miraculously, managed to get a bit of sleep in there too. =) Since then, I've tweaked the things that needed tweaking, but am I every really done? I'd guess the girls new bedroom is 99% or so done--closet-guts not withstanding. (What does that word 'withstanding' really mean? I must look it up later.) I moved the girls' beds into the 1000-times-improved-room before Christmas and gradually we'll move in the rest of their stuff. They love the new digs!

I did indeed participate in NaNoWriMo in November. I did not complete the 50,000 word goal in thirty days. Somewhere around day eight, I realized that I was losing ground with the house and it was reaching a critical crisis state with the family, so I tried to work a bit and write a bit. That worked, I guess if you think that going from writing nearly 2000 words a day to feeling victorious over 12 words is working--at that rate it might another 20 years before I finish this novel idea. Oy! My two writing buddies were initially disgusted with my verbosity, but I think they have forgiven me. I ended with 7242 words to my total and my buddies somewhat less. It gives me hope that if I had been more focused, I might have succeeded. Considering this was my first attempt to do something this radical since I was twelve, I'm actually quite proud of myself.

The holidays left me sweating whether or not I'd get everything done up in time for the onslaught of family get-togethers, just like always. Every year I resolve that next year I will get done earlier and have time to enjoy my labors, and each year I seem to fail more miserably with my goal. I presume that this comes under the heading of "Hey! That's life, what did you expect?!" And then there is always the "Gee, it's over already" chapter that seems to begin the January blahs and organizing affair while stuck inside--since I'm basically a chicken when the temps dive regularly below the freezing point. By February, I'll be dying for a road trip to Tennessee and potential warmer weather. It hits me like my birthdays, and pretty much I don't have to set the internal clock to know it's coming. Some things are just fated and you know it.

The past couple weeks have out done themselves in the thought provoking category. Nothing like life, death, and accidental near death of a friend's family member to remind one of the importance of being there with your family when it counts--be it a slip on the ice or a zombie apocalypse. (Not that I put much credence in the talk on the street about this potential!) All I'm saying is that the rushing around and making sure our materialistic needs are met are not even close to important!

I mean how could that possibly be more important than figuring out the eternal/infernal questions to your personal way to the big g-o-d (if he/it even exists for you), the state of the Union, taxes, gun control, national security, and "Is the way I show my family I love them enough?", and the list goes on and on and....!? I ask you!

As if none of this were not perplexing enough, add in the mysterious process of fudge making that does in fact seem to be affected inconceivably by the weather--hygrometer and barometer measurements--and life is absolutely inexplicable! Amazing! Sometimes our great-grandparents knew what the *bleep* they were talking about. Anybody else wonder what other true wisdom we all missed and passed off as pure silliness and could use about now?!

Ugh, my head hurts.

1 comment:

kklutzke said...

I puzzle over these questions too. I see my parents about every two years and each time I notice how much older they're getting: not as mobile, more forgetful, more health problems...

My older sister turned 50 this year. I don't see her as that old, but hell, I don't see myself as 43 either. In my mind my sisters and I are timeless, all in our twenties or thirties.

Family has become more important as I get older. Not just for the sake of our kids, but for me personally too. We plan and we rush and we buy and we fuss over the holidays, but in the end the things that matter are all invisible—the memories and the bonding and the relationships. I suppose that seems obvious, but it's taken me some time to really internalize that and to get to the point where I can actually let things go, like not getting cards out this year, not making cookies, and not outfitting the house much beyond putting up a tree. Did anyone notice I didn't do these things? Not to my knowledge. :-)

I hope you guys all had a wonderful holiday with your families. Let's get together after the new year.